Turtles are cold-blooded animals and they cannot internally regulate their body temperature in response to temperature changes in the environment.
Essentially, their body temperature will be the same as the air or water around them, so if it gets too cold, your pet turtle will become sluggish or worse get sick.
This is why turtle tank heaters are a crucial addition to your aquarium set up.
This small chart will help you choose the right turtle tank heater depending on your turtle tank:
- Up to 15 gallons = 50 watt
- Up to 30 gallons = 100 watt
- Up to 45 gallons = 150 watt
- Up to 65 gallons = 200 watt
- Up to 80 gallons = 300 watt
With a good heater, you can easily adjust the temperature to better suit your turtle’s needs, just make sure to choose one with compatible wattage for your tank.
After testing numerous turtle tank heaters, we have a pretty solid idea of what features make the best turtle tank heater, and the Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm it’s our top choice.
- Very thin equipment
- Very well made all-in-one turtle tank kit
The market is full of a variety of heaters that range in price, specifications, and efficiency; it can all seem a little bit overwhelming especially if you are a first-time turtle parent.
However, do not worry; we got you covered with a breakdown of the ten best turtle heaters in the market today.
There are three kinds of heaters.
Submersible, substrate, and in-filter.
Each one of them has its gains and losses.
- Submersible Heater is a small, compact heater and as its name indicates, they work underwater. They are practical, easy to install, quick and efficient. They are usually inexpensive. They need to be far from the substrate to avoid accidents and malfunctions.
- Substrate Heater is the ideal heater for modest tanks. They work hidden under the substrate. Placed under the substrate, they stimulate the growth of water plants. Their main advantage is that they remain hidden, and they provide an effective heating method. However, they tend to be more expensive than the rest of the heaters.
- In-Filter Heater as its name indicates go inside the filter. More precisely inside the canister filter. The main advantage of this heater is that it is safe from being “attacked” by pets. This is useful mostly for aggressive fish owners. They are also an expensive option.
On This Page
Best 10 Best Turtle Tank Heaters
1. Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm
This submersible heater is compact, flat and it is made of a shatters proof material. It has a one-touch system to set the temperature desired and it shuts down automatically when the water reaches the temperature wanted.
It has lights that indicate the status of the equipment whether if it is heating the water or if the water already reached the temperature established.
- Longevity assured
- Very thin equipment
- Expensive if compared with the rest of the submergible heaters
2. Finnex Deluxe Titanium Tube Heater and Guard
Large-sized tanks heater, Finnex represents a great option. Available from 300 watts to 800 watts. Made of titanium, this heater will not corrode and will maintain the water temperature stable.
Protected with an external sheet that will prevent turtles to burn themselves when touching it. It does not come with a thermostat, which means it needs an external one not provided by Finnex.
- Longevity assured
- A great option for large water tanks
- External thermostat required
3. Hydor In-Line External Heater
In-Filter heater with an original feature called Positive Thermal Coefficient (PTC). This technology prevents the heater from overheating and blow away. It goes inside the filter’s canister.
This external filter will not steal any space of the tank. It is a good option for small tanks or visual perfectionist turtle owners.
- It is hidden in the filter
- Easy to install
- Good durability
- Work with any kind of canister
- Only works vertically
4. Tetra 26445 Fauna Aquatic Reptile Heater
Tetra built a top-quality heater, just like the rest of the Aquarium products they launch to the market.
This model is submersible and it has an electronic thermostat capable of maintaining water at stable temperatures with incredible accuracy.
It has an automatic thermostat that can maintain water temperatures at around 78°F (25.5556 °Celsius).
- The best option available for small tanks
- Works both vertically and horizontally
- Protective plastic cage to prevent breakage
- Do not have a dry safety feature
5. Fluval M Electronic Heater
Fluval submersible heater is among the best options for turtle tanks. Its exclusive fish guard device prevents turtles to go near it and burn themselves.
The M model has an LCD interface that shows the temperature of the water in both Celsius and Fahrenheit and its accuracy is over the curve.
It also works horizontally and vertically like most of the submersible heaters.
- The exclusive Fish guard device
- Temperature display in C° and F°
- Available from 50 watts to 300 watts
- Safety shut off device
- It only works with a high water flow
6. Eheim Jager Thermostat Heater
This electronic heater possesses an amazing accurate warm temperature thermostat. It is submersible and shatterproof. It is possible to adjust the temperature between 65 to 93 F°.
It has a device that shuts down the heater under dry conditions, preventing it from burning. The heater stops when the water level is too low and starts automatically when the water level goes back to normal.
- Thermo safety control feature
- Easy to install and set up
- Available from 25 watts to 300 watts
- Horizontally position not recommended
7. Aqueon Pro Submersible 50W Heater
This submersible heater presents a noncorrosive and nonreactive material, made of quartz and shatterproof.
LED lights indicate if the water is heating or if it reached the temperature established, which could be between 68 F° and 88 F°.
It is one of the safest heaters available and easy to install and set up.
- Resistant shatterproof material
- LED lights indicator incorporated
- Auto-turn off feature
- It does not have any
8. Sukeen Aquarium Heater Auto
The sukeen aquarium heater comes ready with a heater guard so you won’t run into an issue with your turtle breaking the heater.
Not only that but this comes with an extra thermometer that will provide accurate control of the tank temperature for your lovely turtle.
Even though this comes with a guard this heater is very resistant making it shatterproof and indestructible covered with double-sealed case and no electricity leakage.
- Intermittent operation mode
- High quality and safe
- Submersible design
- Doesn’t hold a steady temperature
9. Marina Compact Heater
If you are looking for a heater that will fit your temporary small tank this heater is for you. It’s fully submersible and has very reliable performance.
It can maintain a set temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit, provided that the maximum difference between the ambient and set temperature is less than 9 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Made of durable polymer
- Easy and secure installation
- Fully submersible compact heater
- Only suitable for small aquariums
10. BOEESPAT SubmersiIIVVERR Submersible Aquarium Heater
Made of high-quality quartz glass the boeespat submersible aquarium heater has a shatter-resistant construction that ensures the safeness of your turtle and will keep them from scalding and punching the heater.
This heater makes it easy to use it as it only needs a simple turn of the knob on the top and can easily get the temperature you want.
- Suitable heater for large turtle tanks
- Submersible aquarium heater
- Fully adjustable and safe
- The cord is way too short
How to Heat a Turtle Tank
Generally, turtle owners who keep adults turtles do not actually have to heat their turtle tank but if you have a baby turtle you will need one.
This is because as you can image baby turtles are growing and you will want their metabolism to be active, to be able to digest their food quickly so they can consistently grow.
The adult turtles will no longer grow and they will not be using as much energy to go into the process of growing, so it’s not necessary to heat your adult turtle tank.
Adult turtles are very resilient and can withstand a wide range of temperatures.
Higher temperatures also help turtles fight off disease and illness more effectively.
As for the temperature in the turtle tank depending on the turtle you own, you can follow the list below:
- Hatchlings: 75-80* F
- Juveniles: 72+* F
- Adults: 68+* F ( or room temperature )
A precaution you can take is to have a heater guard so you won’t run into the situation of your turtle breaking the tank heater, just be sure it will fit the heat that you will buy.
Make sure you also have a thermometer so that you can test the temperature of the water to make sure it’s staying pretty consistent.
Best Filter for Red Eared Slider (2021) | Buying Guide and Review
The Best Filter for Red Eared Slider Tank will help maintain your turtle tank water fresh and knowing what to pick can be a challenging responsibility.
How to Choose the Best Live Plants for Turtle Tanks in 2021
Ever wondered what beneficial Live Plants for Turtle Tanks you should add to your turtle tank? Well, stick around to check our list of best live plants.
The Best Tank for Red Eared Slider (2021) | Buying Guide and Reviews
The Red Eared Slider can get a little Too Big for your Regular Aquarium, so providing The Best Tank for Red Eared Slider will Guarantee Him a Happy Life.
The Best Aquarium Hoods in 2021 | Buying Guide and Reviews
Trying to find some good aquarium hoods? Stop and check out our best aquarium hoods buying guide and reviews to get the best one this year.
Best Turtle Basking Platform (2021) | Buying Guide & Reviews
After examining various turtle docks, we have a good idea of what things make the Best Turtle Basking Platform, and now we are sharing our thoughts.
The Best Aquarium Stands In 2021 | Buying Guide and Reviews
The biggest challenge that an amateur aquarium owner faces after buying it up is that they miss understanding where to keep their aquarium tank on.